Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Disbarment for an Opinion?

-----
No time to discuss this in depth as I have my Civ Pro II death sentence in less than an hour and a half, but I wanted to voice my concern over the DOJ report in the works.

The report by the Office of Professional Responsibility, an internal ethics unit within the Justice Department, is also likely to ask state bar associations to consider possible disciplinary action, which could include reprimands or even disbarment, for some of the lawyers involved in writing the legal opinions, the officials said.

We are now going to consider disbarring attorneys for writing OPINIONS that the current political powerhouse dislikes? OLC attorneys are asked some of the most difficult questions, because the Supreme Court refuses to provide advisory opinions without an actual controversy. If I were a current DOJ attorney, I would be worrying about what the next round of DOJ attorneys will think of my opinions, and whether I will be risk of prosecution or disbarment, because they don't like what I wrote.

This is insanity.

No comments: